All Carbon Steel Products
Carbon steel is a fundamental and widely used material in various industries. It is composed primarily of iron and carbon, with small amounts of other elements. The varying carbon content yields different types of carbon steel, including; low, medium and high carbon steel, each with distinct properties. Carbon steel is a popular choice for those looking for strength and durability. Common end use applications include structural components, machinery, and automotive parts. Overall, carbon steel is an affordable choice for manufacturing and construction.
All Carbon Steel Stock Products
Carbon Steel is offered in two categories: Hot-rolled and cold-finished. These categories of carbon steel products differ in their manufacturing processes, resulting in different properties and applications.
Hot-rolled steel is produced at high temperatures, tends to have a rough surface and has larger dimensional tolerances. Cold-finished steel, on the other hand, in manufactured at or near room temperature, has a smoother surface, tighter dimensional tolerance and improved mechanical properties. Making cold-finished steel suitable for applications requiring precisions and performance.
How is Carbon Steel Made?
All carbon steel starts as a hot-rolled product.
- The first step in these processes is to remove impurities from the iron, such as silicon, phosphorus, and sulfur.
- Next, the iron is cleaned and heated until it reaches what’s known as “austenitic grain size.” In the austenitic grain size process, the iron is heated to a temperature above the steel’s recrystallization temperature, making the metal easier to shape and form.
- The hot-rolled carbon steel is then cooled and reheated to achieve specific physical properties.
- Continuing rolling or finishing operations such as pickling (acid bath to remove scale), oiling (oil applied to pickled product to inhibit oxidation/rust) and or cold rolling/forming can tighten grain structure, improve finish and mechanical properties.
FastMetals Carbon Steel Products
How to Choose the Right Hot-Rolled Carbon Steel Products
When choosing hot-rolled carbon steel products, there are a few things to consider:
- The grade of the steel: The higher the carbon content, the harder and stronger the steel. However, high-carbon steel is more difficult to weld and can be brittle.
- The application: The intended use of the hot-rolled carbon steel will determine the appropriate grade. For example, if you are looking for steel to use in construction, you will need a different grade than if you were looking for steel to use in machinery parts.
- The size and shape: The size and shape of the hot-rolled carbon steel will be determined by the intended use. For example, if you need steel for construction beams, you will need a squared-off shape. However, if you need steel for construction columns, you may need a Schedule 40 Cylindrical Pipe.
Can You Buy Hot-Rolled Carbon Steel Online?
Yes. FastMetals has carbon steel for sale online in several shapes and sizes. If you aren't sure what you need just yet, you can contact one of our professionals.