All Stainless Products
All Stainless Steel Stock Products
Stainless steel stock is an important material to have on hand, commonly used in construction, medical, marine, food handling and preparation applications.
What Is Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel is a group of heat and corrosion-resistant metals that contain at least 11% chromium. The added chromium forms a protective oxide film on the steel's surface, preventing further corrosion. In addition to chromium, stainless steel may contain other metals, such as nickel and molybdenum, further increasing its corrosion resistance.
The main types of stainless steel are 304, 316, and 410. 304 is the most widely used type because it's less expensive and has good corrosion resistance. 316 is more expensive but has better corrosion resistance, making it ideal for food processing and medical applications.
Stainless steel is available in a wide range of finishes, from polished to matte.
It can also be made into a range of different shapes and sizes.
What Are Stainless Steel Products Used For?
Stainless steel is commonly used in the construction industry, where it is used for everything from pipes and beams to cladding and roofing. Marine applications are also very common due to the high levels of corrosion resistance inherent in the material.
In addition, stainless steel is often used in the medical field, as it is an ideal material for surgical instruments and other medical devices.
Other common uses for stainless steel include:
- Automotive parts
How Is Stainless Steel Made?
Stainless steel is manufactured in a few basic steps:
- The manufacturer creates carbon steel, which is done by combining iron ore with coke (a form of coal) in a blast furnace.
- The molten steel is poured into a basic oxygen furnace, where it is heated to around 2,700 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chromium and other alloys are added to the steel.
- Once the desired composition is achieved, the steel is poured into ingots, or molds, and allowed to cool.
- After cooling, the ingots are reheated and passed through a series of rollers that gradually reduce their thickness.
- The final step in the manufacturing process is to cut the stainless steel into sheets, slabs, or coils of the desired size and shape.
FastMetals Stainless Steel Products
FastMetals offers 304 and 316 stainless steel products in the form of angle, flat bar, round bar, square bar, pipe, plate, rectangular tube and sheet.
How to Choose the Best Stainless Steel Metals
When looking for stainless steel products for your business or home, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Your intended use: If you manufacture food products, you'll need to make sure the stainless steel you choose is food-grade. If your plan is to use the stainless steel for construction, you'll need to make sure it's the right grade and thickness for your project.
- The environment: If the stainless steel will be exposed to salt water or other corrosive materials, you'll need to choose a grade that is as resistant to corrosion as possible.
- The grade of stainless steel: 304 and 316. 304 is mostly used in the food industry, pharmaceutical processing equipment, and hypodermic needles. 316 is used in medical and construction applications.
- The finish: The three most common finishes are bright annealed (very shiny), dull annealed (somewhat shiny), and mill finish (no shine). If you're not sure which finish to choose, call a FastMetals representative for help.
- The size and shape: Stainless steel is available in a wide range of sizes and shapes.
- Sourcing: FastMetals offers only US domestically produced metal stock in all of our offerings. Competitive pricing with foreign sourced materials is a hallmark of our business.
Can You Buy Stainless Steel Stock Online?
Yes. On the FastMetals website, stainless steel for sale is easy to find in your specifications. If you're unsure which product is right for your project, our team of experts is always available to help.